Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Homemade is Better Pt. 2

Inspired by this post on Angry Chicken, I decided to make butter yesterday. Sheesh it was so easy.
Here's all I did:

1) Put heavy whipping cream on the kitchen counter for a couple hours.
2) Then poured it into a mason jar and lidded it.
3) Tried to get the kids to shake the jar for me. Failed.
4) Shook the jar myself for maybe 5 minutes while I simultaneously weeded the garden (bind weed is my mortal enemy).
5) When I could see that my cream had become butter, I poured the buttermilk into one container and put the finished butter in the other.

That's it.

And it's good. Seriously.

Probably there are additional things you could do to make sure your butter lasts longer - I've heard rumors of washing it - or flavor it in some special way (a very zealous cook from Mother Earth News suggested rose water - lovely!) - but this simple procedure did the trick.

Yay us. Homemade butter on homemade bread. I feel so old-school Martha.

No comments:

Post a Comment