Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sigh

I recently found out that one of Sophia's friends - a frequent playmate - has been making a game of being mean to Sophie. This is new for us. We've had issues with other friends where the kids' temperaments just didn't match, or I didn't approve of particular behavior, but we've never had to deal with anyone being deliberately mean.This makes me so sad. Sophia would never be deliberately mean to anyone. Not even her brother, and we've all done that once or twice.
Apparently when Sophia wants to play, but the friend doesn't, the friend calls Sophia names and runs away.
My initial reaction to this is not pretty. But I suppose that violence is not the right lesson here. Rather I have to rein in my temper and figure out what will help her deal with nasty behavior in the future.
How do we protect our tender-hearted children? Her kindness and genuine concern for others' welfare are two of her loveliest traits, I would hate to dampen them in any way. But I also want her to know that this child is simply wrong and she doesn't have to believe her or continue to play with her.
But what if, as it is in our case, she does want to keep playing with this friend? What then? How do I teach a five-year-old to stand up for herself and stay kind?
Especially when I haven't exactly mastered it myself?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Amy, my heart breaks when I read this. My first instinct is to put my arms around Sophia and just hug her. These are the painful things parents have to deal with, but you are the smartest Mom I know,so I am assured you will handle it in a fair, appropriate way. I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete